Saturday, May 19, 2007

Good Sh*t: Only in Los Angeles, Part 2

“I don't like jail, they got the wrong kind of bars in there” - C.B.

"Ray's Mistake"

Here comes the best part.
Eat, Drink: I have always heard about the Cali-Mex. Sounded a bit healthy at the time, if you ask me. Come to find out it's just as greasy and fantastical as my beloved Tex-Mex! (alright, sans the Velveeta, but I can stand to loose that.) I made a point of a strict Mexican diet for the duration of my trip. Starting off with La Cabana in Venice, the fish tacos were tops and the margaritas potent. El Compadre had, by far, the best margarita I have ever had, never mind the food, this thing was on fire. Literally. Limit 2. The Frolic Room elbowed itself in, I had to make a toast to the late Charles Bukowski on his old stomping grounds. This is the epitome of the old school Hollywood hang-out. Professional. El Chavo! was a bit of a blur thanks to the Ray's Mistake at Tiki Ti (absolutely not public affection here people, you will get tossed out!). But how could I forget the homage to Dolly Parton, an enormous shining iridescent portrait over the bar! Ole! (This was a great line up to familiarize with Silverlake!)
So I did manage to get in a little sushi, to curb the guilt, Wabi-Sabi. Some of the freshest most authentic sushi with a little fusion, go for the spicy tuna roll and basically, anything on the menu.