Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Inspiration: Before the Factory

Cano (1948)
Unicorn (1956)
Progressive Piano (1957)
Female Head with Stamps (1959)
Who's Pussyfooting Around? (1960)

Andy Warhol is one of the most influential artists of the twentieth century and continues to make headway even after his death. While he is not my favorite I find myself over and over again drawn to his early work as an illustrator in the early 1950's in New York City. He was well known for his loose hand and ink blotted watery style. After finishing up my Girls Fall 2008 line, looking back I can see hits of Warhol in my hand! (This work also seems to have inspired my favorite graphic designer Laurie Rosenwald.)

PS With all the recent hype of Factory Girl, I have refrained from posting about Warhol, I just wasn't impressed with all the brouhaha. Skip seeing Factory Girl, and go directly to Ciao! Manhattan. Now that, to me, is the REAL Edie Sedgwick.

No comments: